Week of November 13-17
In Reading, we typically work on many SOLs at one time, as they all build on one another.
Shared Reading Books: Books about Thanksgiving
Literacy Activities: We will identify the characters in a shared reading story. We will write Thanksgiving words located around the room. We will sort pictures by beginning sounds. We will sort pictures by syllables. We will identify rhyming words and generate a rhyming pattern. We will build sight word sentences, write & illustrate those sentences. We will identify the “secret code” beginning sound in three pictures and write the letter. We will build, read, and write sight words.
Week 1: Letters/ Sounds for T, B, F
Week 2: Letters/ Sounds for M & N
Week 3: Letters/ Sounds for I & U
Week 4: Letters/ Sounds for C & O
Week 5: Letters/ Sounds for A & G
Week 6: Letters/ Sounds for D & S
Week 7: Letters/ Sounds for E & R
Week 8: Letters/ Sounds for P & J
Week 9: Letters/ Sounds for L, H, K
Week 10: Letters/ Sounds for V & W
Week 11: Letters/ Sounds for X & Y
Week 12: Letters/ Sounds for Q & Z
Rainbow Sight Words:
Red Words: I, see, red, a, my, yellow, we, is, orange, at
Orange Words: can, black, go, to, brown, an, me, white, am, it, green, one
Yellow Words: like, pink, and, the, gray, two, in, blue
Writing Workshop: In our writing journals, we’ll label 2-4 things in pictures as we illustrate corn and a horn of plenty.
Poetry Journals: We use poetry journals to learn concept of word, identify sight words and rhyming words, and to practice tracking print. We also use poetry journals to practice building sentences and reading them.
This week’s poem: Mr. Turkey
Poems we have learned:
- I Like
- Mr. Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Picking
- Go, Go, Go!
- Picking Apples
- Five Little Firemen
- I See
- My Family
Additional Books We Are Reading:
- We Gather Together, Now Please Get Lost!
- Thanksgiving Day
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin: A Family to be Thankful For
- Bear Says Thanks
- The Relatives Came
- Just So Thankful
- 10 Fat Turkeys
- This is the Turkey
- Thanksgiving is…
- Giving Thanks
- Who Will Carve the Turkey This Thanksgiving?
- The Night Before Thanksgiving
- Pete the Cat: The First Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving is Here!
- There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
- Purple Fish: We will read the book “Fall” and build sentences from the story. We will also build short /a/ words.
- Blue Dogs: We will reread the book, “Going Places” and read the book, “My Pet Dinosaur”. We will practice identifying syllables in compound words.
- Green Frogs: We will reread the book, “I Love Pirates”, and begin reading the book, “Smells Like Thanksgiving”. We will write about pirates & use QR codes to find rhyming words!
- Yellow Ducks: We will reread the book “I Can” and begin reading the book, “I See My Colors”. We will build sentences from “I Can” and use QR codes to find rhyming words!