Week of February 20-23
In Reading, we typically work on many SOLs at one time, as they all build on one another.
Shared Reading Books: Little Red Riding Hood
Literacy Activities: We will identify the setting in a shared reading story. We will write Valentine words located around the room. We will identify 1, 2, 3 & 4 syllable words. We will create green rainbow word flashcards. We will build sight word sentences, write & illustrate those sentences. We will match short vowel words to pictures. We will build, read, and write sight words.
Week 1: Letters/ Sounds for T, B, F
Week 2: Letters/ Sounds for M & N
Week 3: Letters/ Sounds for I & U
Week 4: Letters/ Sounds for C & O
Week 5: Letters/ Sounds for A & G
Week 6: Letters/ Sounds for D & S
Week 7: Letters/ Sounds for E & R
Week 8: Letters/ Sounds for P & J
Week 9: Letters/ Sounds for L, H, K
Week 10: Letters/ Sounds for V & W
Week 11: Letters/ Sounds for X & Y
Week 12: Letters/ Sounds for Q & Z
Week 1: We will learn to “tap” sounds to read 3-letter words. We will put the letters of the alphabet in order.
Week 2: We will continue to practice tapping sounds to read 3-letter words. We will learn how to write capital letters A-H.
Week 3: We will continue to practice tapping sounds to read 3-letter words. We will learn how to write capital letters I-P.
Week 4: We will put the letters of the alphabet in order. We will tap sounds to blends words. We will learn how to write capital letters Q-Z.
We will continue to practice tapping sounds to read 3-letter words. We will also spell & write words.
Rainbow Sight Words:
Red Words: I, see, red, a, my, yellow, we, is, orange, at
Orange Words: can, black, go, to, brown, an, me, white, am, it, green, one
Yellow Words: like, pink, and, the, gray, two, in, blue, three, here, be, four
Green Words: will, are, for, but, that, have, play, no, said, you, do, where
Blue Words: not, up, away, come, with, down, on, she, funny, find, he
Writing Workshop: In our writing journals, we’ll work on writing 1-2 sentences. We will learn how to use a vowel chart. We will write about what sport we would play if we were Winter Olympians.
Poetry Journals: We use poetry journals to learn concept of word, identify sight words and rhyming words, and to practice tracking print. We also use poetry journals to practice building sentences and reading them.
This week’s poem: I Love This Flag
Poems we have learned:
- I Like Hearts
- I’m a Little Penguin
- I’m a Little Snowman
- I’m a Little Reindeer
- Gingerbread Man
- Mr. Turkey
- I Like
- Mr. Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Picking
- Go, Go, Go!
- Picking Apples
- Five Little Firemen
- I See
- My Family
Additional Books We Are Reading:
Little Red’s Riding ‘Hood
- Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale
- Ninja Red Riding Hood
- Presidents’ Day
- The Story of George Washington
- Pig the Pug
- Charlie the Ranch Dog: Rock Star
- Pete the Cat and the Bedtime Blues
- Purple Fish: We will finish reading the book, “All About Foxes”. We will write about foxes and go on a “word hunt”.
- Blue Dogs: We will finish reading the book, “What is at the Zoo?” and begin reading, “The Stubborn Horse”. We will do a “secret code sight word” activity and build short vowel words.
- Green Frogs: We will read the book, “Bonkers Likes to Bark”. We will work on building sentences from the story and identifying syllables in compound words.
- Yellow Ducks: We will read the book, “Mom and I”. We will work on building sentences from the story and identify rhyming words.